Collagen Peptides: How Much Should I Take Per Day?January 20, 2020
How much collagen should you take per day? The answer depends on your goals. For a glowing complexion, strengthening joints and bone, or reducing cellulite, a simple 11-gram scoop once a day will do the trick. For building muscle, 1 1/2 scoops (or 15-grams) per day is a great place to start.
Read on to find out more your optimal dose, the best times to take collagen, and who should avoid it.
In this article you will learn:
- The recommended dosage for collagen
- Can I take too much collagen?
- Who shouldn’t take collagen
- When should I consider taking more vs. less?
- What time of day should I take collagen?
- Can I take collagen on an empty stomach?
Click here for a printer-friendly version
Recommended Collagen Dosage
Our convenient 11g-scoop makes it easy for most people to measure the amount of Collagen Peptides they need. Here’s the scoop on how much collagen protein you should take, depending on your goals and needs:
- Skin: One scoop is the perfect dosage for healthy skin. Collagen peptides are absorbed intact by the intestines and then transported directly to the skin. They remain there for up to 2 weeks, improving your skin’s appearance, moisture, and elasticity. If you’re going for glowing skin, try marine collagen, which is especially high in type I collagen, the one associated with anti-aging.
- Cellulite : One scoop of collagen can help reduce the appearance of cellulite by strengthening the connective tissue under the skin.
- Muscle: Muscle mass and strength decrease as we age. To increase muscle while losing fat, try 15g of collagen peptides per day. We love adding a scoop to our morning coffee, ½ scoop to all three meals, or ⅔ scoop to our soup at lunch and another ⅔ to our post-workout whey protein shake.
- Bone: The recommended dosage for bone metabolism and mineralization is 11g for a 150lb person. One scoop is all you need.
Pro tip: Vitamin C enhances collagen absorption so we recommend taking collagen alongside fresh fruits and vegetables!Shop Now!
Can You Take Too Much Collagen?
Collagen peptides are extremely safe and you should feel comfortable taking about 1-3 scoops per day to support strong and healthy hair, skin, nails, and joints. Take it along with other protein supplements like whey, plant protein powder, and food-based proteins for a complete array of amino acids and other nutrients.
Do keep in mind: anytime you consume more food than your body has the enzymes to process, you may notice some digestive discomfort like gas or bloating. If this happens at a higher dose of collagen peptides, just scale back and slowly build up to your ideal dose. Some people notice that they feel thirstier when they consume more protein. Listen to your body, and drink extra water if you need to.
Is There Anyone Who Shouldn’t Take Collagen?
People with kidney disease or other kidney issues should work with a doctor to find their ideal protein intake. Even an easy to process protein like collagen peptides count toward your daily total.
If you are predisposed to kidney stones, we have a few recommendations when using collagen: drink plenty of water, maintain adequate levels of B6, and be careful not to over-consume collagen. Again, consult your doctor to find the correct dosage that will give you the benefits of collagen without the potential side effects.
If you are allergic to fish, stick with bovine collagen peptides.Shop Now!
When Should I Consider Taking More vs. Less Collagen?
You may want to consider taking more if you notice that your skin and nails aren’t looking as strong and lustrous they used to. You can also combine higher amounts of collagen with whey protein if you’re trying to build muscle, or if you’re working out extra hard and want to keep the inflammation in your joints at bay.
What Time of Day Should I Take Collagen Peptides?
Collagen peptides are perfect any time of day.
For skin or muscle repair: Consider taking both bovine and marine collagen in the evening to help with recovery and repair while you sleep.
For weight loss: Take them in the morning and throughout the day to help you stay full and keep you feeling energetic without the crash.
To support pain and inflammation: To support tough workouts or general pain and inflammation, take 1-4 scoops of collagen throughout the day, making sure to take one scoop before bed.
Should I Take Collagen On An Empty Stomach?
Looking for more ways to add Collagen Peptides your day? Check out this blog post. Have a question or a favorite recipe using collagen protein? Please leave it in the comments below. Thanks for reading!
(Want articles like this via email? Here's the sign up)