How to do a Bone Broth Fast Safely + 5 Incredible BenefitsJanuary 21, 2020
You may have heard of the numerous health benefits of bone broth, but have you considered a bone broth fast?
That’s right, a bone broth fast can be a great way to reap the benefits of intermittent fasting but with the added support of the amino acids, collagen, and glycine that bone broth provides.
In this article, you will learn:
- How to do a bone broth fast
- Why it is different from other fasts
- Benefits of a bone broth fast
- How to know if a bone broth fast is right for you
- Choosing the best bone broth for fasting
How do I do a bone broth fast?
A great question! To start, a bone broth fast is generally an extended period of time where you consume only bone broth, water, and herbal teas. Typically the fast lasts anywhere between 24 hours and 3 days, but we recommend starting small if you’re new to fasting or consuming a diet high in processed food.
Most bone broth fasts consist of consuming between 3 to 4 quarts of bone broth per day while avoiding solid food and intense exercise. Fasting allows your body to burn fat, boost your metabolism, and heal conditions such as leaky gut due to its ability to restore good bacteria in the digestive tract. When you add in the numerous benefits of bone broth protein, the electrolyte and amino acid content hydrates, detoxes, and heals your body.
Most fasting is done without solid food. However, if you are new to fasting or are feeling light-headed, it’s okay to include one small meal of grass-fed meat and vegetables for every 24 hours of fasting.
How is a Bone Broth Fast Different from a Typical Fast?
Unlike water or tea fasts, a bone broth fast gives your body essential vitamins, nutrients, and antioxidants, which provide energy and hydration throughout your day. These nutrients, along with the high protein content can help you feel less fatigued and more focused on a bone broth fast vs. traditional fasting.Shop Now!
What are the Benefits of a Bone Broth Fast?
- Improves digestion and promotes a healthy gut due to the abundance of gelatin and amino acids.
- Collagen and glucosamine, and chondroitin strengthen tissues, reduce joint pain, and keep hair, skin, and nails healthy.
- Cysteine, glutamic acid, and glycine are powerful antioxidants that promote detoxification of the body.
- The high protein content of bone broth promotes weight loss and a healthy metabolism, leaving you feeling full and satisfied while fasting.
- Improves sleep and fights brain fog with the presence of glycine.
Is a Bone Broth Fast Right for Me?
Now that you’ve got an idea of what the heck a bone broth fast is, along with its key benefits, it is important to note that a bone broth fast (or any fasting for that matter) is not for everyone.
A bone broth fast may be good:
- If you are suffering from leaky gut or gastrointestinal issues such as gas and bloating
- If you suffer from an autoimmune disease
- If you experience joint pain
- If you are looking to boost your metabolism and burn fat
- If you have skin issues such as eczema or psoriasis
- You are pregnant, nursing, or planning to become pregnant
- You have diabetes or suffer from hypoglycemia
- You have a history of eating disorders
- You have a low body mass index or are malnourished
Fasting is not suitable for everyone, so we suggest you consult your healthcare provider when considering a bone broth fast.
Choosing the Best Bone Broth
While you can cook bone broth yourself, it can be a time consuming task, which is why we recommend choosing a high-quality bone broth protein powder if you’re in a pinch for time. When choosing a supplement, we recommend using an organic bone broth to ensure optimal nutrition and less harm to the planet, like our Organic Bone Broth Protein.
Have you tried a bone broth fast? Leave a comment below and let us know! We'd love to hear about your experience!
(Want articles like this via email? Here's the sign up)