How Much Whey Protein Should I Take? A Simple Guide for Your #goalsJanuary 04, 2020
If you use whey protein, you're probably wondering "how much whey protein should I take?" The amount depends on your specific goals. In general, if your goal is fat loss, take 10-20 grams for a moderately active lifestyle and 20-40 grams if you're highly active. If your goal is lean muscle gain, enjoy 20-48 grams of whey protein post-workout.
Whey protein isn’t just for bodybuilders and professional athletes. It’s for anyone looking to lose weight, improve muscle strength, curb cravings, and get more protein in their diet.
In this article you will learn:
- How much whey protein you should take to lose weight
- How much whey protein you should take to build muscle
Whey Protein Dosage for Weight Loss
Want to burn an extra 80-100 calories per day and curb your appetite? Look no further than whey protein! Not only can it boost your metabolism, but it also curbs cravings, which reduces the urge to snack and overeat - all resulting in fat loss. The good news is, you don’t need to consume large amounts of whey protein to reap the fat-burning benefits of this supplement.
The Recommended Daily Allowance for protein is a minimum of 0.4-0.6 grams of protein per pound of your body weight. Do note, that's the bare minimum amount you need to meet your basic nutritional needs and avoid deficiency. To really reap the benefits for weight loss, it's best to get around 30% of your daily calories from protein.
In case you're wondering, one scoop of our Organic Whey Protein contains 20 grams of clean protein. With this in mind, here’s our general recommendation on how much whey protein to take per day for fat loss:
- MODERATE ACTIVITY (3 workouts or less per week): 10-20 grams of protein (or 1/2-1 scoop of Organic Whey Protein) should do the trick to curb cravings and boost your metabolism.
- HIGH ACTIVITY (4 or more workouts per week): 20-40 grams of protein (or 1-2 scoops of Organic Whey Protein) will keep hunger cravings at bay and promote a healthy metabolism.
Kickstart your metabolism with our deliciously filling #fatfueled Chocolate Avocado Smoothie for breakfast!
Whey Protein Dosage for Building Muscle
Whey protein is jam-packed with all 9 essential amino acids, which are key players in your body's ability to build and repair muscle. Additionally, the body absorbs whey faster than any other protein, which leads to increased muscle protein synthesis (AKA those muscle gains you’re after).
To reach your goals, research suggests combining HIIT or strength training with whey protein supplementation. And to maximize results, be sure to check out our recommendations for the best time to take whey protein.
Here’s our recommendation on how much whey protein to take for muscle gain:
- MODERATE ACTIVITY (3 workouts or less per week): 20-25 grams of whey (or 1 level scoop to 1 heaping scoop of Organic Whey Protein) post-workout should give you that protein boost you need to build lean muscle.
- HIGH ACTIVITY (4 or more workouts per week): If you’re an athlete you may need up to 0.9 grams of protein per pound of body weight. That's a lot of protein, so to help you reach your protein goals and maximize your muscle gain and repair, we recommend taking 24-48 grams of whey (or 1-2 heaping scoops of Organic Whey Protein) post-workout.
For a quick and easy post-workout protein shake, try our Low-Carb Vanilla Protein Shake! It takes just 30 seconds to make, making it a breeze to get your protein fix in that crucial post-workout nutrition window.
Whey protein is a powerful supplement that can help you reach the fat loss and muscle gain goals you’ve been after (almost like a personal trainer at the gym!) and the great news it’s that it’s very safe to consume. When it comes to supplementing for your goals, don’t be afraid to experiment with the above recommendations until you find your sweet spot!
How much whey protein do you take for goals? We’d love to know in the comments below!
(Want articles like this via email? Here's the sign up!)